Tuesday, June 22, 2010

ePals for Summer

After learning more about ePals last week in class I wanted to see if my parents would be interested in communicating over the summer with my students this way. Many of my students are shockingly good at typing and they love getting mail. This seemed like a great way for them to express themselves and be able to stay in touch with me and other classmates over the summer.

We had our end of the year party today. While parents were in class I showed them how ePals worked and set up an account for their child if they wanted. Using the LCD projector so the class could watch i sent everyone an email telling them what I wanted them to tell me about over the summer. We also talk about how they could have mom or dad help them if they came up with the ideas, it could be typed for them.

This is a great way for the kids to communicate over the summer. Especially for the two students I have that will be moving, one to Canada and one to Florida. Both girls were very sad to be leaving their friends. This is a quick and easy way for them to stay connected with everyone.

I know that the caliber of emails will not be top notch, but it keeps the kids writing over the summer, and helps them practice their typing as well. I am sure our technology teachers will appreciate that in the fall when they come back to school.

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, I wish I would have thought of this before my students left for the summer. This is an awesome idea. I will definitely do this next year with my students.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea! I actually changed my wiki for the summer and presented it to my students at the end of the year. There's a page dedicated to discussion- and I left it really open- they can talk about anything as long as it is appropriate. Already I've had a few students posting and checking to talk to their classmates. It's great because they can share what they are doing over the summer and talk about anything. I like it because I can keep in touch and see how they are doing- and ask what they are reading. Projects like these are helpful to develop the communication skills of our students, especially since they will likely communicate more through the internet when they are older.

    ReplyDelete